Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

It has been weird here in wi., it got to 50degrees on night,

Customer Question

It has been weird here in wi., it got to 50degrees on night, now half of my Flo k is so k with sneezing and gooey eyes. I separated the youngest and put them under a heat lamp. I treated them with vet rx. One chicken had bloody mucous in their nose and I am worried. Help please!!!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

How large of a flock do you have, Lana? It's important to recognize that in any case of respiratory illness, it's important to know if you're dealing with a viral, bacterial, fungal, or parasitic disease. The treatment for one disease may be ineffective or even harmful for others. To make a diagnosis, an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) will perform several tests including bacterial cultures of the airways, blood tests, and necropsies of dead birds if they're available. Dead birds should be refrigerated - not frozen – until they can be necropsied. Microscopic evaluation of affected tissues is helpful and can be performed at a diagnostic laboratory such as a county animal disease diagnostic laboratory. A fecal test for parasites also should be done. Attempts to isolate virus may be required. Respiratory infections in poultry have several causes but outward signs may appear similar to the flock owner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was not at all helpful. There are No avian vets here. What a waste of my time and money ey!!!

That was just my opening salvo. I need to know how many chickens you're dealing with so I can tell you how you might address them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24....had the same thing last year, lost only one.....

Thank you. Too many to treat in any manner other than through their water. Please go to your local feed store and pick up tylosin soluble powder to be diluted in their drinking water which should be their sole drinking water for the next 5 days. If you're dealing with either chicken coryza (Haemophilus paragallinarum) or avian mycoplasmosis - the two most likely bacterial infections - tylosin should be very helpful. It can't rid them of the infectious agent completely but should reduce morbidity (severity of symptoms). They'll remain carriers which would explain why they've once again become ill after recovering last year. Please continue our conversation if you wish.