Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I HAVE A AFRICAN GREY WHO IS FEMALE AND ABOUT 30 YEARS OLD.

Customer Question

I HAVE A AFRICAN GREY WHO IS FEMALE AND ABOUT 30 YEARS OLD. i HAVE FOUND DROPS OF BLOOD AT THE BOTTOM OF HER CAGE. THE FIRST TIME WE HAD BEEN AWAY FOR 3 DAYS. JUST NOW I FOUND AT LEAST 16 DROPS OF BLOOD AT THE BOTTOM OF HER CAGE. SHE IS EATING NORMALLY AND TALKING NORMALLY. WE HAVE NOT BEEN AWAY FROM HER AT ALL. WHAT DO YOU THINK? I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE. THANK YOU, ***** *****
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer.
Please look Miya over carefully for a bleeding pin feather - a feather vane broken through the blood vessel still present in the vane. If you can find that broken feather it needs to be plucked from the skin which will stop the bleeding. Look for skin wounds and look for evidence of blood in her droppings. Please let me know what you find.