Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

Bird's toe nail digit got bitten off last eve, bleeding stopped, what first aid for this, are you there, female separate

Customer Question
her toe nail digit got...
her toe nail digit got bitten off last eve, bleeding stopped, what first aid for this
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: are you there
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: female separate in her own cage. worried about shock and infection. is there a fee for this?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Veterinarian. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: what is the total cost. I'm new to this. and this is a bit of an emergency
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Veterinarian. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: how long will it take
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
5/22/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this injury. So, one toenail got bit off / broke off? Or did an entire toe get bit off? Is she able to perch at this time? Is it still bleeding?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
toenail was bitten off by larger parrot last eve. looks like the whole toenail is gone. got the bleeding to stop. worried about infection, shock, pain.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she was perching when I left home to care for my elderly father and his diabetic lab. on my way home. need to know something.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there anything I have here at home or do I need antibiotic. I am only home once a day to tend my aviary, so if anything is needed should be one time a day. maybe that's not better for Pickles...don't know
That is good that the actual toe isn't injured. Toenails can be torn off / bitten off and they will regrow as long as the nail bud base isn't injured. At this point, honestly the chance of infection is very, very minimal. As long as there isn't bleeding, then there isn't that situation of shock. Pain most likely has pretty much subsided at this point as it is far enough out from the trauma. The best thing you can do is to make sure that the cage has everything in a readily accessible manner so not as much movement around the cage is needed. Time is most likely all that is needed to let things then heal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there anything I can apply that would help prevent infection, and also be safe if pickles licked it?
are you there?
More than likely anything applied topically would be groomed right off. A light neosporin application to the area could be done.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry, I can't afford to do that. whatever I do, has to be very soon and affordable. have an aviary of 12 birds, besides if this works out today for me I can join this site. that's all really. how long does this process take. I have insulin to give in 40 minutes and it's 20 miles away from here.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you there? is Neosporin all I can do, and I've heard it should not be applied to broken skin. and should not be taken internally. do you know of aloe's use on avian wound? or anything else like honey perhaps?
In all honesty, really nothing is needed for that nail that is broken off. I like to just let them be. If anything is put on it, it just encourages grooming of that area. I would just let it be. You can see that at this point it has stopped bleeding and it is actually healing right now.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what will be signs of infection in the wound? if...that should occur?
I'm very sorry for my delay in a response as I got pulled away. What would be concerning is if there was swelling of the digit proximal to the toenail base. I would hope no swelling or discharge or holding up of the foot happen after the first couple days.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian