Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Duckling approx two weeks old. Legs extended, floods into back.

Customer Question

Duckling approx two weeks old. Legs extended, floods into back. Limp neck. Labored breathing. I've given it a shot of penicillin last night, and the breathing has returned to normal, and it's eating and drinking a bit with my holding a dish of dumor chick and duckling feed in some water with electrolytes and sugar. We have 20 ducklings and he's the only sick one. I put the rest of ducks on the du
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Sulfa..anti bacterial
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: No wound. It's baby
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: That's about it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flips onto back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Local Veterinarian Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
You're doing as much as I could ask of you. While Baby's symptoms are consistent with quite a few infections, Riemerella anatipestifer is relatively common and this bacteria does respond to penicillin or a sulfa drug. Ducks show incoordination, shaking of the head and twisted neck and are commonly found on their backs, paddling their legs. Sulfadimethoxine-ormetoprim (0.04-0.08% in the feed) should be considered for all of your ducklings at this time. I would continue injecting it with penicillin for a week while feeding it and your others the sulfa drug for the next two weeks. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?