Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My chicken has a baseball size lump right under her vent,

Customer Question

my chicken has a baseball size lump right under her vent, she isn't egg bound, but it is getting bigger every day. She is not listless or anything like that, and I don't know if she is pooping or not. Her hind end sticks out and the skin is irritated. I don't know what I can do for her, I don't want to lose her.
Thanks for your help. Carol
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Carol, it isn't clear to me what "right under her vent" implies. Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of this baseball size lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing. Such a sized lump shouldn't represent an egg but, instead, an abscess or tumor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am one of those computer dummies, have never done that. And my Phone does not have the right stuff to plug into the computer. If it will help the mass is under the vent , right next to the skin behind the down feather on her butt, it is not under her, it is on her butt. I hope this helps, tell me if it doesn't. And I will try something else, I don't want to lose her, if I can help it.
Her whole butt is sticking out.

You may be a computer dummy but I'm spacially dyslexic and am having a heck of a time visualizing this. Can you have a friend help you get a photo to me? Do you have access to an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) who can take a look at Abby? The mass is under her vent but on her butt yet the whole butt is sticking out. Help!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try. Can I reach you on this site when I have it, without another cost? I don't know how long it will take. I'll do my best

I understand. Yes, you're welcome to return to our conversation at your convenience. We can continue to converse at no additional cost to you. Please stay in this conversation rather than opening up a new question which you would be charged for.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to send pictures, tell me if you got them and if not I will try something else.

Nothing received yet but I'll keep watch. ***@******.*** can help you if need be.