Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

We found a beautiful ring necked dove that can't fly. Seems

Customer Question

Hi, we found a beautiful ring necked dove that can't fly. Seems to hop around but something must be wrong with wings? have it in a box right now with towels, water & wild bird food.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what to do next? She seemed to be eating so I think as far as that she is ok. I'm worried that maybe she may get cold?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Bird Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I do apologize my colleagues could not assist you while I was away. Still, I am Dr.B., a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if she has potentially been injured and shocky, we may need to adjust her set-up there. Hopefully, the box you are keeping her in is dimly lit and in a quiet place. In regards ***** ***** for shock birds we often will keep them around ~85*F. So, we'd want to warm the room she is in or can put a heating pad under half the box to give her a temperature range to choose from.

Otherwise, I am concerned about her lack of flight as that can be a sign of serious issues in the wing. We can see this related to fractures but also nerve and muscle damage. And if both wings are affected, then spinal and brain based issues would also be a concern. Therefore, in this case,we'd want to consider seeing if we can get her into the local wildlife rehabilitation or consider having her checked by your local avian vet. The former will have their own vets that can examine her and treat as need be. Or you can submit her to your local vet for them to assess her and as long as the damage she has sustained doesn't carry a poor prognosis, they can turn her over to a rehabilitation center (whom they tend to have close ties to and may have more success getting her in). In regards ***** ***** your local center, you can check these databases:

Wildlife International (http://www.wildlifeinternational.org/EN/public/emergency/emergencyrehab.html),
US Wildlife Rehabilitation (http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/rehabilitators/directory-us.html),
Wildlife Rehabbers (http://wildliferehabber.com/rehabber-search), or
Wildlife Sanctuaries (http://www.greenpeople.org/sanctuary.htm)

Overall, this poor lass's signs do raise a few concerns. You are very kind to bring her in and keep her safe from predators. But since she is wild, we do need to be proactive in getting her help. That way we can avoid harm from stress and give her the best chance of regaining her ability to fly and to return to the wild.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.