Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

I have an African Grey parrot ,he is about 10 years old and

Customer Question
Hi ,i have an African...
Hi ,i have an African Grey parrot ,he is about 10 years old and he suddenly has started struggling to breath , i have had him to the vet and they have given him antibiotics but still when evening comes he seems to struggle more with the breathing , i have steamed the bathroom and sat with him in there and that seems to help , the vet here in South Africa does not seem to know what it is ,please could you maybe shed some light on the problem
Thanking you
Lee
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/16/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Lee, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Can you clarify what "struggling to breath" implies, please? An increased respiratory rate, he sounds congested, nasal discharge? Is the vet an avian specialist? Which antibiotic are you giving and how are you administering it? Has any testing been performed such as blood tests and cultures of Vincent's choana (the slit between his oral and nasal cavities) and cloaca (vent)? Have X-rays been performed?

Hi Lee,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Vincent. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian