Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 25 yr old African grey that has presented with

Customer Question
weakness in her right leg...
I have a 25 yr old African grey that has presented with weakness in her right leg. Her behavior is almost panic. I can hold her and her breathing gets normal. Could she be egg bound.? Her stool is normal an she has eaten today....but clearly is not acting normal. She has only laid 2 eggs in her lifetime.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/2/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** will try and help you as best as I can.

I am sorry to hear Zac is having this problem.

The signs you speak of could be due to a number of things: nutritional deficiencies, nervous system disease, abdominal masses or tumors, being egg bound, and systemic infection to name a few things.

The best thing to do here is to have her checked out by an avian vet.

They are likely going to want to do some basic bloodwork and radiographs (x-rays) to look for possible blockages or obstruction (via eggs or masses) and other abnormalities.

Without a good exam and diagnostic information, it is just to hard to predict what exactly is going on. Birds move very quickly when it comes to disease, so I recommend getting to a vet today if possible. Here is a good link to find a good avian vet in your area:

http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

I will stand by and await your response. Please reply back with any other concerns and if you need more information.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zac. How is everything going?
Dr. G.

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian