Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Hei s making a quick chirping sound but it is almost

Customer Question
Hei s making a...

Hei s making a quick chirping sound but it is almost constant. He is not at the bottom of cage.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?

Constant quick chirping sound??

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

He doesn't seem to hurt??

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name and age?

Spice around 16

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Spice

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spice?

No he was fine and for the last three days he is making this weird quick chirping sound

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
3/1/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Joanne, what type of bird is Spice, please? The chirp is a type of stridor - a sound associated with constriction of a lower airway (below the level of the larynx) caused by inflammation of infection or tumor, exudate in the form of mucus or pus, or perhaps a vitamin A deficiency. Consultation with an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) who can directly visualize your bird's oropharynx (back of his throat) and perform bacterial cultures and cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of your bird's mucous membrane surface) should be considered. Until he can be attended to please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. If he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has his diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?