Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 7 yr. old Barred Rock that has lost her appetite &

Customer Question
Hi, i have a 7...
Hi, i have a 7 yr. old Barred Rock that has lost her appetite & is lethargic and feels light & thin. Her crop is empty but seems to be full of air & her comb is a little pale. Eyes are clear & breathing is okay. She had a minor case of bumblefoot this past summer which i was able to quickly heal, her feet are fine now. Please help, she is a very cool chick :)
Thank You
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/29/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Curtis, you've described quite an ill hen. Unfortunately, the symptoms you've mentioned can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the differential diagnoses.

It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of the Izzy's financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one hen.

Until Izzy can be attended to, please hospice her as shown in this link: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you from here. If there are any other worrisome symptoms please let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Izzy. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian