Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I was going to sit on the couch and didn't realize my conure…

Customer Question
hi I'm Brenda. I was...
hi I'm Brenda. I was going to sit on the couch and didn't realize my conure was there .I think I brushed against him he started breathing heavy in the beginning his breathing is fine now but hes not acting like herself . she just sits on my shoulder and doesn't want to leave. I'm not sure how bad she is hurt. all the vets are closed in my area. not sure what I can do in the meantime
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
2/29/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Brenda, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Unfortunately, injury is very difficult for me to assess from here. It's a positive finding that her breathing has normalized but her change in behavior does suggest that she's painful and perhaps shocky. You're necessarily constrained to keeping quite warm by heating up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. In case she's unsteady, please remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Unless she remisses nicely by morning, please have an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) take a look at her in the morning.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian