Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a fan tail pegion that is about 3 years old with

Customer Question

i have a fan tail pegion that is about 3 years old with diarra, regurgitating (which I've never seen her do so) & sleeping more than usual. She is a a house only bird which follows me toe to toe all day every day, & I'm so very worried I don' know what to do! I had the brother &lost him last year due to not being able to swallow with a lump in his throat.I had been giving him shoots of antibiotics around his leg & was told that was the wrong place to give the shot, so i went over some giving him the shot & he fell died on me, so I terrified at tring to docter this one because she's like my child, but this has been going on about 3 days know & i live in a very small town a vet being hard to find within a 100+ miles! Could someone please help???? Thank You, Dawn
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Dawn. We don't have many avian vets on this site and I don't see many pigeons. It's important to note that Sweetpea's symptoms of regurgitation (possible vomiting), diarrhea, and somnolence (sleepiness) are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. Bacterial, viral, and parasitic infections are possible and without the attention of an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) we have no manner in which to clarify which is present in Sweetpea or, indeed, if she can be helped. For a quick primer of what might be going on please see this link: http://www.pipa.be/en/newsandarticles/ask_the_vet/2638#content and click on the symptoms that she's demonstrating. The responses are quite good and by a knowledgeable vet. Unfortunately, I don't see any recourse but making a long drive.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.