Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

, Amazon Yellow nape is our newest family member....

Customer Question
Amazon Yellow nape is...

Amazon Yellow nape is our newest family member.... yesterday he ate some carrot - rather chewed on it and threw most of it and since then - hes been having watery poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the bird will be able to digest that. What is the bird's name and age?

Popeye - about 3-4 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Popeye?

He dislikes veggies and fruits - however when hungry - hes not left with a choice

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
2/21/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Bob, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob, I'm sorry to read of the problem you're having with Popeye, and I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. Unfortunately,your questions can online her very early this morning when very few avian knowledgeable veterinarians are online. How is Popeye doing by now, and would you still like someone to work with you to help him?

hi, He's ok by now. Can you please advise, how can we have him eat veggies?

Hello again, I'm glad you got back to me, as this is a most important question, and Popeye is young enough to be able to properly train to eat well. As avian scientists have determined that 90-95% of all pet bird health issues of any kind are dietary in origin, a closer look at his diet is our first step. The various components of a bird's diet are important, but the ratio of each of the different foods is critical to their long-term well-being. Zupreem, Harrisons and Lefeber are all excellent manufacturers of pelleted bird food (which should supply the basic foundation to any pet bird's diet) , and they are available online, or n better pet stores. Should the store not stock one of the premium brands, they can almost certainly order them in for you as needed. While pellets are considered to be very close to a balanced diet, most avian specialists would recommend some substantial fresh food additions to in order to provide an ideal diet. Dark leafy greens in particular, are extremely important. The proportions of the three main kinds of foods should be 70% high quality size-appropriate pelleted food (all pellets, no mixtures with seeds or nuts), 20% fresh vegetables (especially dark leafy greens like kale, Swiss chard, spinach, carrot tops, cilantro, mustard and collard greens, etc.) red, yellow and green bell peppers, cooked squash and pumpkin, and only 10% seed and nut foods. Experts have also determined that pet birds have no need for any kind of grit, and it may actually be harmful or fatal as impactions of their gizzards can occur. You can find a large number of articles online with many excellent hints on how to convert Popeye to a balanced diet by googling "How do I get my parrot to eat better?", one in particular "How to feed your Amazon" is very good.

Sleep is another consideration in bird health issues. He should be getting 12-14 hours of sleep under a dark cage cover in a quiet part of your home away from T.V. and conversational sounds. Proper sleep in essential in helping birds deal with environmental stresses.

Hopefully with these alterations to what you're already doing for him, Popeye will soon be on the path to a long and healthy life, but if you should have any further questions, please let me know.

Kind regards, ***** *****