Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My bird has an injured wing and can't get around very well.

Customer Question
WIll it heal by itself...
My bird has an injured wing and can't get around very well. WIll it heal by itself or is there something we can do for him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
2/19/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Such an injury is very difficult for me to assess from afar and then give you a prognosis for recovery. An avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) will need to carefully examine Diego for signs of trauma - bruising, swelling, pain upon flexion and hyperextension of her wing - and determine if a soft tissue injury or fracture, instead, is present. Treatment, then, would be predicated upon the type of injury suspected. A nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) might be prescribed for a soft tissue injury while immobilizing Diego's wing might be prescribed for a non-displaced fracture. Tumor associated with the wing is another consideration and can be diagnosed by direct visualization in most cases.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian