Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My budgie dropping are coloured he he's just finished

Customer Question
My budgie dropping are...

My budgie dropping are white coloured he he's just finished moulting and he is eating. ***** *****

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Jimmy is sleeping a lot we are not sure if he is drinking ,he as got iodine block in the cage

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
2/18/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Bob, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your budgie's condition. How long has it been since you first noticed the symptoms you've mentioned?

Jimmy has had for about a week .

Okay, thank you. What does Jimmy eat normally?

Good quality budgie seed,we have got two birds in the one cage the other one is younger and is showing no signs of I'll health.

Thank you. The reason I asked that question first is that avian experts have determined that up to 95% of pet bird health issues are dietary in origin. A balanced feeding regiment for budgies would be as follows: A diet consisting of 80% pelleted parakeet or budgie food from reputable manufacturers like Harrisons, Lafabre, Zupreem and others, along with 10-15% fresh vegetables like dark green leafy greens (kale, Swiss chard, spinach, dandelion greens carrot, beet, mustard and other greens) red yellow and green peppers, dried chilies, pumpkin and squash, and carrots which are all good foods needed to provide the total nutrients needed by pet birds. Only 10% or less of the total diet should consist of seeds and nut foods. Sprouted seeds would count as either seeds or vegetable matter, but should not make up anything like a major portion of the diet. Fresh fruit is fine, but only in very limited quantities, as it is 90% water and fills the bird up before providing the nutrients they need. Grit is not necessary and actually can be dangerous, as it can produce impactions of their GI tract. When the diet is not comprised of the right proportions of the right foods, the birds are more susceptible to all kinds of illnesses and diseases, and the change in color and/or consistency of the droppings is often an early sign of a problem.

Proper rest is another essential component to proper bird keeping. 12 to 14 hours of sleep in a quiet part of your home, away from conversational sounds and other noises, under a darkly covered cage, is necessary to help them get the rest they need to dissipate the stress in their lives. Sufficient good-quality rest is extremely helpful in maintaining their immunity to diseases. Pumpkin and squash are quite helpful in resolving minor GI upset that may cause the signs you're seeing. As this problem is very recent, simply feeding him a half teaspoon daily of pumpkin and/or squash for several days may be enough to clear up his symptoms and get him on the road to health. If he does not begin producing normal droppings after 2 or 3 days, a trip to an avian veterinarian would be the wisest thing to do for him. If you have not established a relationship with an avian practice in your area, you can find those closest your home by going online to www.aav.org/search. If you still have questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Hopefully with these alterations to what you're already doing for him, Jimmy and his buddy will soon be back to normal, but if you should have any further questions, please let me know.

Kind regards, ***** *****

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian