Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I'm ***** *****. We have a rooster about 8 months old with a

Customer Question

HI! I'm ***** *****. We have a young rooster about 8 months old with a clear slimy discharge from his beak. Having a hard time eating. Not swallowing his food well
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have a young rooster about 8 months old with a clear slimy discharge from his beak. Having a hard time eating. Not swallowing his food wellWe have a 6 month old rooster with a slimy clear discharge from his beak. He's having a hard time eating, not swallowing his food well.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Bird Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your rooster. It's important to recognize that in any case of respiratory illness, it's important to know if you're dealing with a viral, bacterial, fungal, or parasitic disease. The treatment for one disease may be ineffective or even harmful for others. To make a diagnosis, an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) will perform several tests including bacterial cultures of the airways, blood tests, and necropsies of dead birds if they're available. Dead birds should be refrigerated - not frozen – until they can be necropsied. Microscopic evaluation of affected tissues is helpful and can be performed at a diagnostic laboratory such as a county animal disease diagnostic laboratory. A fecal test for parasites also should be done. Attempts to isolate virus may be required. Respiratory infections in poultry have several causes but outward signs may appear similar to the flock owner.

If you don't have access to an avian vet, presumptive treatment is reasonable in one of two manners:

1) Tylosin in the form of injectable Tylan-50 at your local feed store can be dosed at 20-30 mg/lb daily intramuscularly (or the injectable solution can also be given orally) for 5-7 days or you can place 2.5 grams of tylosin powder in the form of Tylan soluble powder at your local feed store in 5 liters of drinking water for 5-7 days.

2) Tetracycline in the form of Duramycin-10 can be placed in the drinking water for 7-14 days as per the directions on the label.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?