Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our 5 year old Eclectus got s left foot closed in a door…

Customer Question
Our 5 year old Eclectus...
Our 5 year old Eclectus got his left foot closed in a door frame he was sitting un unknown to us.
He screamed and flew away before it was closed completely.
He has been favouring it (pulling it in to his body). He will put weight on it now and then when needed, but only for a half a second.
He will put his weight on it to use his "good" leg to scratch his head for about 10 seconds or so.
Since he was hurt he has become unusually "ready for bed". His feather are all puffed up like when he gets ready to go to sleep.
He is otherwise "happy", making all of his usual noises and chatter.
Please help. Our vet is unavailable at the moment.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
I offered him his favourite food, an almond. We will not hold the almond with either foot like usual or the perch, instead letting the almond to fall. Very unlike him. He is eating though.
2/1/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Alfie!

Now his not being able to take the almond isn't a surprise when he has a sore, bruised foot. That said, if externally the foot looks normal, then the mainstay of treatment at the moment would just be rest and letting him settle from any shock with this. We'd want to keep him warm, calm, and can dim the lights to reduce stimuli and stress. Ideally, we'd want to restrict him to a single level cage for ease of standing with easy access to food/water. You can even deeply bed this with a soft towel for him.

Otherwise, it'd be ideal to wait until his vet is reached so that we can get that foot checked for any hairline fractures and most important get strong bird safe pain relief dispensed for him. In the meantime, you could choose to use pediatric ibuprofen (note that is pediatric, not infant, the dosage in each is different) and give one drop every 12 hours. That said, if we do choose to do that, we'd need to let his vet know when he is seen since it may delay them starting anti-inflammatories until this is out of his system. So, we'd choose to treat based on how long you think it will take for them to be available and how distressed Alfie is. If they will be able to see him soon and he is settling, then we are best to hold off. But if that is hours away and he is very sore, then we can choose to do so in order to keep him comfortable.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)