Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of pet, wildlife, and zoo avian experience, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My canary seems to be disoriented and is leaning to the

Customer Question

My canary seems to be disoriented and is leaning to the right hand side when sitting on his perch. he is having trouble flying and he is completely out of sorts
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

What you are describing is indeed vertigo! This problem usually occurs due to irritation of the balance nerve in the head due to stroke, trauma, virus, or no discoverable reason at all. Birds who are dizzy will often tilt/twist/or lean their head off to the side, other birds won't have the first set of symptoms I mentioned but will have significant balance problems and fall or lean on objects and not move much. Because of the significant dizziness some birds will stop eating, if that occurs this is now a serious problem. What you need to do right now is to take out the perches and put a blanket or towel on the bottom of the cage to provide good footing and a safe place in case he starts falling or head tilting. Bring the food and water bowl down to the floor as well so there is minimal difficulty getting to the bowl while he’s feeling dizzy. If he stops eating she needs to be seen by the vet as soon as possible to avoid liver problems that come on with not eating. Most of the time this problem does resolve on it’s own but it’s best to have the vet look him over to see if there is anything that can be done to speed along the recovery.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did please leave a rating.

Dr. Dan