Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Salkin only I have four chicks, one that is about 9 weeks

Customer Question

For Dr Salkin only
I have four young chicks, one that is about 9 weeks old and the other 3 are 5 weeks old. They have been happily living in a brooder since the day they were born and all came from the same breeder. They seem super healthy and wonderful.
However, when we take them out and let them play in the house, the bigger one would sneeze like crazy. Last week we took them all outside for the first time and all four of them were sneezing. Since I'm dealing with a possible respiratory infection with my older chickens, I'm worried.
I have never seen them sneeze in their brooder though, so I'm wondering if it's an allergy. They have never been anywhere near my older chickens and go in an entirely different part of the yard when outside.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

We don't recognize inhalant allergies in chickens but aerosoled irritants are possible. Most likely, however, is one of the respiratory agents you're already dealing with. In fact, they may be the source of your older chickens' infection. Once you find out the test results, Lee, Millie, Fred, and Joey should be treated as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I be giving them the antibiotics as well?
I just find it strange that symptoms only show themselves when they are out of their brooder!

They're more active outside of the brooder...more breathing/air passing over irritated mucous membranes causes more sneezing. Hold off on antibiotics until the test results come back. You've already started the adults on antibiotics so continue the antibiotics in them.