Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a pekin duck who got trapped on a frozen pond. after…

Customer Question
i have a pekin duck...
i have a pekin duck who got trapped on a frozen pond. after rescue, i brought him inside- he seems to be labored in his breathing...anything I can do for him
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/21/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. His labored breathing (increased respiratory rate/effort) signifies mild hypothermia and so while alarming, it's a positive prognostic sign and indicates that only passive rewarming is necessary. This is done by wrapping the duck in blankets, bubble wrap, or foil to prevent further loss of heat. It's important to recognize that hypothermic patients are usually dehydrated and so he needs ready access to drinking water. You can also dose him directly into his beak with water in a small poultry baster (oh, the irony). Dosing is variable; I wouldn't distend his crop with too much water which is likely to be regurgitated if given in excess as his crop is likely to be atonic (lack of muscular activity) due to hypothermia. There's nothing else to do at this time. You're necessarily constrained by not having supplemental oxygen available or the ability to administer warmed fluids IV which would be ideal.

Please give me an update on Daffy, please.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian