Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a hen who is not drinking or eating, she went through…

Customer Question
I have a hen who...
I have a hen who is not drinking or eating, she went through her molt about 2 months ago, so she stopped egg laying during the molt. The molt is finished now. Is the hen egg bound or is there something else I need to look for?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
1/19/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please see here for a review of egg binding: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention/ You haven't mentioned the typical symptoms of that problem. Instead, she has become anorexic. Are there any other symptoms you can report to me - conjunctivitis, facial swelling, sneezing nasal discharge, coughing, regurgitation/vomiting, increased respiratory rate, diarrhea...?

In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the various differential diagnoses.

It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense Vanilla's financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one hen.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Vanilla. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian