Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a hen who is not drinking or eating, she went through

Customer Question

I have a hen who is not drinking or eating, she went through her molt about 2 months ago, so she stopped egg laying during the molt. The molt is finished now. Is the hen egg bound or is there something else I need to look for?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Please see here for a review of egg binding: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention/ You haven't mentioned the typical symptoms of that problem. Instead, she has become anorexic. Are there any other symptoms you can report to me - conjunctivitis, facial swelling, sneezing nasal discharge, coughing, regurgitation/vomiting, increased respiratory rate, diarrhea...?

In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the various differential diagnoses.

It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense Vanilla's financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one hen.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Vanilla. How is everything going?