Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a pet European Starling and I want to buy calcium

Customer Question

I have a pet European Starling and I want to buy calcium supplements for her. I found a brand called Zoo Med Avian Calcium Supplement Bird Food. Would that be okay to use for her without making her sick?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

This supplement is safe but I would dissolve it in water rather than disperse it in seed where it's likely to be discarded along with the seed hulls. An even better approach is to feed your starling calcium rich foods such as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat. Remember that vitamin D3 is needed for your starling to be able to absorb the calcium. Consider adding an avian vitamin to her water such as Oasis brand at half of the recommended dose on the label so as not to make her water distasteful.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much and I will try it with her.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.