Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

I have a chicken that was attacked by a dog. I took her to

Customer Question
the local vet and he...
I have a chicken that was attacked by a dog. I took her to the local vet and he stitched her up and we are giving her antobiotics. I have her in a dog crate and she is eating a little, drinking a little water . She is pooping . Her legs, feet/ claws are very week and she can not walk. One claw is weaker than the other ( curled up under her ) This all happened new years day. Any advice ?
I do take her outside 2 times a day and let her sit in the sun and that is when she eats mill worms that are put in front of her ? I am so worried
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
1/3/2016
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In this situation, if she her legs are weak but she does have voluntary movement, then we likely have a situation of discomfort or muscle damage (as opposed to nerve damage that would cause paralysis and would be a negative prognostic indicator for her).

In this case, we'd really want to ring the vet who saw her for bird safe anti-inflammatories here. These will help manage the pain she surely has (even if she is putting on a brave face as prey species do), reduce inflammation, and help us get her mobile again. If you cannot get ahold of them, then for the short term you can give her a low dose of Ibuprofen (7mg per pound of her weight every 12 hours). This should be given after food and its usually easiest to use children's liquid versions for ease of dosing.

Overall, if she can move the leg and the claws, then we'd be most suspicious of pain/muscle damage here and would want to ring for pain relief for her. Though if she cannot move her claw at all, then nerve injury would be another worry for her. In any case, we would want to consider speaking to he vet about anti-inflammatories (steroids if nerve issues are suspect) to keep her comfortable and give her the best chance possible for recovery.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Hi Peggy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian