Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My peach face today has been attacked by my ecletus parrot

Customer Question

My peach face today has been attacked by my ecletus parrot and now her foot is very sore
Not sure if it's broken but she can't put weight on it and keeps wanting to bite it
What can I do to help with this and get her mobile
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's her Left foot and her right wing has blood and some feathers missing.
She won't allow us to examine her wing completely to see what damage has been done and where the blood has come from
This is my daughters bird and she is very sad and keeps asking me to fix her
I desperately am seeking answers and advice
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's very difficult for me to assess the extent of a lovebird's injury from here. This is an instance when an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) is necessary. It's difficult enough to find such a vet much less on a holiday and so for now Fruit Loop's environment should be heated up to 29.4C and you can dissolve one 325 mg aspirin in 1 pint of water and this, then, becomes her only water source. If you manage to restrain her, dabbing her with 3% hydrogen peroxide will wipe away and bleach the blood so you can where the blood is coming from. Broken and bleeding feathers need to be picked out. Puncture(s) to the body needs to be attended to by an avian vet who will determine the best course of action. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Raelene,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Fruit Loop. How is everything going?