Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Am balaji from India my sun conur 1 month baby swallowed the

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Dr am balaji from India my sun conur 1 month baby swallowed the synrnge needle rubber tube 1 day ago it was inside him. i tried to take out after empty the mouth but didn't work
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/african-grey-swallowed-rubber-tube-on-the-syringe.html this is similar to this issue i used rubber tube whic is attached in the syringe. i can able to see the rubber tube and but when i tried to taking out it swallow again. what to do ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Bird Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: am waiting for your response
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Balaji. We don't have many avian vets on this site. We have to hope that the rubber tube is still in his crop and can be retrieved by manually evacuating his crop - tilting him downward and massaging the crop upward until he regurgitates. He may need his crop distended with water prior to massaging it to be successful. If this isn't successful an avian vet can X-ray your conure and if the rubber tube is still in the crop, surgically open the crop and remove the tube. This should be done only by an experienced avian vet and I suspect that you may have trouble finding such a vet where you live...at least, that's been my experience when speaking to Indian customers. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow my speaking with customers by phone in this venue. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr,Yes. I have consult with near veterinarian and he suggested to surgery and take it out and suggested a hospital in chennai. I am planning to go there by tomorrow, since i have important office work today. Is there any problem if i take the bird tomorrow. The bird is active now. is that safe as of now?Regards,
M. Balaji

It should be safe to wait until tomorrow. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.