Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My chicken was bitten in the neck by a fisher, she'll drink

Customer Question

My chicken was bitten in the neck by a fisher, she'll drink some water, very little food, off balance and can't hold her head up to long, can she be saved?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. Unfortunately, injury is the most difficult problem for me to assess from here. She certainly sounds to be in a most precarious condition but I have no manner in which to know if she can recover. You'll need to look her over carefully for external wounds and if found, wash them out thoroughly with over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens). Deep punctures need to be addressed by an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org) who will determine if surgical debridement is necessary andwill prescribe a systemic antibiotic. For now, please see here for caring for such a hen: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html

Please give me an update on her. I have to leave my computer for the night but promise to reply in the morning if need be.