Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My parrotlet ate some split leaf philodendron, he seems fine

Customer Question

My parrotlet ate some split leaf philodendron, he seems fine now, no oral irritation as of yet
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

​Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds exclusively for many years.​

How long ago did this happen?

Did he just tear it up or actually eat it?

If he is like my parrotlet, he probably shredded it, and did not consume any plant material.

Luckily there is variability in the toxicity of philodendrons. If he actually ate some, ingested the leaf, oxalate poisoning is the main concern--that primarily affects the kidneys. It takes some time but what you need to watch for is change in the droppings, specifically the liquid part and the white material. Watch for vomiting and diarrhea. It may be difficult to check his mouth. Putting white paper towels down to check poops and for vomit will help. You can upload any photos if you have questions.

Have you done anything to treat?

Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

Milk does not really help much. Normal water and food may help push through any plant material.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that he may have swallowed a little, there was a large chewed section of the lead and I did not see any bits laying below the plant. I washed is mouth out, fed him some milk and some banana. He has shown no symptoms of as of yet. Besides being annoyed with me for washing his mouth. I have given him banana, cooked corn, and yoghurt in his food dishes.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.

He probably will be ok, but I recommend that you contact his vet, just in case. And monitor the droppings carefully. You can save the paper towels in a baggie, your vet may want to take a look at them.

Digestion rates are typically about 15 minutes transit time, so most of the material should have passed. However, renal damage can take more than 24 hr to show.

Let me know if you need a link for avian-experienced vets, and you can leave this question open for now.

Keep me up to date.