I have two parakeets and the one I believe is female is lying down, or trying to on its perch. This began about three

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello. I have two parakeets and the one I believe is female is lying down, or trying to on its perch. This began about three hours ago. They are at least five years old as that is how long ago I purchased them at our local pet store. What do you think is happening?
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 12 hours 7 years ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. It sounds as if Chirp is a female exhibiting mating behavior. When budgies mate the male will do a dance that consists of jumping from perch to perch, chirping, and bobbing his head. He will then move side to side on the perch the female is in while bobbing his head and tapping his beak against the females beak. He does this to get the female excited and soon after the female accepts the males' advances she will squat on the perch remaining still with her pupils very visible and start arching her back and raising her tail. Her tail will point straight up and while arched, the male will mount her and place his vent against hers. He then moves his vent against hers from side to able to inseminate her after he is done he will fly away. Mating will not last very long but it is repeated several times within a day. If Chirp is going to lay eggs it's important that her (and his) diet is especially good. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has their diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of their diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Customer
Thank you for your response. Wow! I didn't know all of that. The mating might be what's going on. She is not lying on the perch this morning, however that lasted until my bedtime. Their diet has been only "gourmet" seeds. I will certainly add to the offerings and hope that they thrive. I thought she was dying because they were so quiet. I bought these parakeets for my mom on Mother's Day five years ago. My mom passed away in July so I brought them home with me. I've been putting their cage outside because our days have been beautiful in Yuma, AZ. Is that OK? A parrot flew into the yard and rattled their cage quite a bit a few days ago causing them to be alarmed. I thought that event might have triggered this new behavior. If she is expecting is there anything special to do? Thank you again. Mary

Just watch for temperature extremes and drafts which are stressors for birds who have been kept indoors. I'm going to post a good link for you concerning breeding. After all you might have grandchicks soon! http://budgieplace.com/breeding.html

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chirp. How is everything going?
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.