Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a blue and gold macaw who is approx. 26years old. she

Customer Question

I have a blue and gold macaw who is approx. 26years old. she has had a nasal discharge for quite a few months. Sometimes it can be quite heavy and discolored. She lives in my garage...not in a cage...very spoiled. She still has a good appetite but the sneezing and nasal discharge has me concerned. The vet in the past gave her a shot but now it is a liquid to put on food that she does not particularly care for. Any comments.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Such a patient must be treated with the appropriate antibiotic directly into her beak. Antibiotics placed in her water or on food won't be ingested in sufficient amount to be effective. Do you have an avian vet available to you (please see here: www.aav.org)? The proper manner in which to proceed is to have such a vet culture your macaw's choana - the slit between her oral and nasal cavities in an attempt to identify the infectious agent(s) involved in her chronic infection and which antibiotic would be the very best to administer to her. If you're unable to handle her to the extent needed - at least once daily - it would be prudent to hospitalize her with an avian vet who could medicate her for you including nebulizing the antibiotic for your macaw to inhale. Please note that one injection of an antibiotic won't suffice when such a chronic infection is present.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.