Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

How do I treat a chicken who is crop bound? How do I prevent

Customer Question

How do I treat a chicken who is crop bound? How do I prevent it from happening again?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Please tell me just what you're seeing. A "bound crop" is unclear to me. Please see here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html for a quick review of crop disorders in chickens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The chicken is unable to pass his feed from his craw. The craw becomes firm, chicken will stop eating and drinking. Also, I clicked on your link and it said unavailable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?

Thank you. The crop is impacted. I don't know why that link isn't working for you. Here's the pertinent information from it:

Treatment for crop disorders involves 1) emptying them as appropriate and 2) treating for secondary infections if necessary. Impacted crop can be treated by flushing the crop with water to help soften up the "ball" (the firmness you're feeling). Using a syringe and tube, put water gently into the esophagus, behind the opening at the back of the throat that goes to the lungs. Gently massage the crop several times daily, softening the mass. Adding some vegetable oil may help a little, but you will usually get reasonable results from water alone. If you're uncomfortable tubing your chicken, you'll need a vet to help you out. Surgical intervention is possible but done only as a last result.

An impacted crop is one full of a tangle of fiber that's firm, dry, and relatively hard. The main factor in such a problem is prevention. Don't give your hens access to long, lush, springy grass, twine or other long, string things that they might eat. Do make sure that there is plenty of good, palatable water near where the hens will be foraging. If your yard is large and you have some "bully" birds, it's a good idea to provide a few drinking stations where timid birds can get some water while they're feeding. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Dale,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?