Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Our rooster was recently attacked by a predator - perhaps a

Customer Question

Our rooster was recently attacked by a predator - perhaps a fox or fischer cat. We couldnt tell because it happened suddently at night and we were unable to get a good look. The rooster suffered deep bite wounds to the back of the neck as well as wounds to the face and eye. Also seems to have a broken or dislocated leg or foot - and is unable to use one of its legs. We have the rooster inside in warm place, near water and food and with quiet environment. The rooster has grown lethargic and has not taken water or food for at least two days now. Seems unable to hold its head up easily and looks as though it is worsening. What can we do to aid its recovery or provide relief from suffering? Is there anything more we could be doing to help the bird recover. Is the lethargy a sing of infection?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

How long ago was the attack?

Was the dislocated leg put back into the hip socket?

Is he on any antibiotics or pain relief?

Can you take a photo of this wound? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check