Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

There are no avian vets open in my area my 9 year old

Customer Question

There are no avian vets open in my area my 9 year old cocktail acts like she may have a broken pelvis or hip? I am a nurse can I give her a dilute drop of tylenol or ibuprophen until someone is open . I Can diluted baby tylenol 100 to 1 drop or the same with baby liquid tylenol
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are avoided in birds due to their toxicity. Aspirin, however, is safe at a dose of 5 grains in 30 ml of water and then 0.5 ml/kg is dosed directly into her beak TID. She's likely to weigh ~0.1 kg. If you prefer, one 5 grain tablet can be mixed in a pint of drinking water and you would allow ad lib access to the water. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.