Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

Fiona! I have the same question about the peacock, he keeps

Customer Question
Hi, Fiona! I have the...
Hi, Fiona! I have the same question about the peacock, he keeps opening his mouth all the time. We tried a lot of antibiotics, no signs of improvement. In case if that's a worm, what is the treatment once again ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
10/5/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I believe you're concerned that your peacock is harboring gapeworms and that's a reasonable concern when gaping is seen and antibiotics haven't been effective. You can treat gapeworms with a 10% suspension (100 mg/ml) of fenbendazole (Panacur) at 10 mg/lb daily for 5 consecutive days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

We've been giving him Albendazole just once. Is this much different from Panacur, or shall we still try to give him more medicine to treat gapeworms? He's been acting like this for a really long time like half a year already, but nothing really seems to help.

Albendazole may be effective when given for 5 consecutive days if he's chronically infected with gapeworms - which may not be the case. Gapeworms - even if now gone - may also have caused permanent damage to his trachea resulting in his persistent symptoms. I also have to consider bacterial, viral, and fungal infections. If you have an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) available, that vet should thoroughly examine your peacock including checking his droppings for gapeworm eggs and culturing his choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - for bacteria. Additional testing can be done for viral infections but might be waived as there's no therapy for the viral infections. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you very much for your answer, Dr Salkin. The peacock had been examined before, so antibiotics were prescribed. Could you please suggest the preferable dosage for Albendazole for 5 days, as we have it in tablets only, simply with food or it has to be dissolved in water?

Albendazole at 20 mg/kg for 3-4 days has effectively removed gapeworms from pheasants and although I couldn't find any studies of this drug in peafowl, I believe 5 days of it should be effective in your peacock. Please note that I could find no toxicity studies for albendazole in peafowl. It can be given in food or in the water. To be sure that he's receiving the proper dose giving it dissolved in water directly into his beak would be best.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian