Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

My parakeets beak is will he be able to eat.

Customer Question

my parakeets beak is long will he be able to eat.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I understand your concern for Yuki, and I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. Have you owned parakeets before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Bob I have had parakeets before. I dont remember if any had the beak problem I am just concerned that he will be able to eat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yuki is now about 3 years old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Bob it says you are online now can you help me
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, I've been offline while having supper. Some parakeets need to have their beaks trimmed periodically, but diet is sometime part of the problem. What does Yuki eat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
uki eats something called premium gourmet alimento 3-d para precios
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I'm not familiar with that particular food, is it a pelleted food, or a mixture of seeds and other foods?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like a mixture he has been on it for a while and seems to like it. Will he be able to eat now or should his beak be shaved I don't want to loose him or have him starve to deathj
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have some wild harvest advanced nutrition diet withseeds fruits and vegitatibles
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Once the beak has become overgrown, trimming will be needed to help bring it back into shape. A diet consisting of 80% pelleted food from reputable manufacturers like Harrisons, Lafabre, and others, along with 10-15% fresh vegetables like dark green leafy greens (kale, Swiss chard, spinach, dandelion greens carrot, beet, mustard and other greens) red yellow and green peppers, dried chilies, pumpkin and squash, and carrots are all good foods needed to provide the total nutrients needed by pet birds. Only 10% or less of the total diet should consist of seeds and nut foods. Fresh fruit is fine, but only in very limited quantities,a s it is 90% water and fills the bird up before providing the nutrients they need. Grit is not necessary and actually can be dangerous, as it can produce impactions of their GI tract. Trimming plus a balanced diet will provide the best chances for the growth of a normal beak, but some birds will overgrow their beaks regardless of their diets, requiring periodic maintenance and trimming. Hopefully Yuki will not be one of the high maintenance birds, and all will soon be back to normal, but if you should have any further questions, please let me know. Kind regards, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Arlene,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Yuki. How is everything going?
Dr. Bob