Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

Our cat caught a fledgling Robin and its legs appear to be

Customer Question
injured. It was trembling...
Our cat caught a fledgling Robin and its legs appear to be injured. It was trembling fearfully, so we put it in a shoe box lined with tissue paper and left it somewhere where the parent birds can find it safely but our cat cannot reach it. We have left it there hoping that the parent birds would come but they haven't yet and it is now over three hours since we 'rescued' the bird. The fledgling is now very still and we don't know what we should do to keep it hydrated and fed. All advice would be welcomed including the contacts for a proper Bird Rehabber who lives somewhere near us in Bradford on Avon West Wiltshire BA15 2DL. Any help or advice you are able to give would be much appreciated, thank you. Keith email:***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
8/31/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with this poor wee one today.

While three hours is not an extensive amount of time for its parents to be away, I am concerned about this little one being in shock and potentially injured. Therefore, in this case, if you do think his legs are damaged then we'd need to consider having him checked and treated. We'd not want to try to push fluids here, since the stress of doing so will likely push him over the edge. Instead, you need to move him to a warm (86-90 degrees F), secluded, dimly lit environment and give him some time to calm. In regards ***** ***** him aid, you can contact one of your local (most are >1hr from your location) rehabilitation centers:

Oak and Furrows (Cricklade) http://www.oandf.co.uk/contact-us/

RSPCA West Hatch Wildlife Centre (Tauton) http://www.rspca.org.uk/local/west-hatch-wildlife-centre/

Otherwise, you can consider ringing your local vets. Normal 0 All will have out of hours services and can take this bird in. To find the local vet open near you, you can use the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) to find your local vets or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/). They will be able to take the bird in, assess if it can be helped, and potentially turn it over to the rehab center after the holiday. And this would be ideal for giving this shocked and possibly damaged bird the best chance of survival here.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian