Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

I have one rooster with bad mucous drainage, he seems fine

Customer Question

I have one rooster with bad mucous drainage, he seems fine one minute and then is down the next his eyes are red but not swollen, another hen seems to be gasping for breath and I don't notice any mucous- and then a baby chick with an eye swollen shut, I have been ginning antibiotics, which seemed to help at first, but today they seem worse
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your rooster and other birds' problems. Where is the mucus coming from, eyes, nose, mouth or all of the above?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all of the above
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought of trying nettles and echinacea? Thats what I do for myself.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Okay, thank you. Have you added any new birds to you flock in the past two months (I'm looking for a possible source of infection).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also, the weather was heavy rain for over a week it seems the problems started directly after most hens were a little stuffy but we're fine after dosing with pribios
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are in FL humid and rainy this summer
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Have you noticed a particularly putrid odor associated with the discharge?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. That signs is typically associated with a disease called infectious coryza. The causative bacteria, Haemophilus paragallinarum spreads rapidly through a flock through the uninfected birds coming into contact with infected birds and their discharges in dust, drinking water or food. Infectious coryza is best prevented by not combining birds of different ages from different sources, immediately separating and isolating infected birds, disinfection of coop furniture (drinking and food bowls, roosts, nesting boxes, etc. with one cup of Clorox per gallon warm water. If possible, leave the housing areas vacant for three weeks to allow the organisms to die off. The treatment is nursing care and an effective antibiotic like Gallimycin (erythromycin), Vetstrep (streptomycin), or sulfadimethoxine. These may be purchased at many farm or feed stores, but be sure to follow label instructions closely including withdrawal times for meat and eggs, if applicable. Unfortunately the most effective way to eliminate this disease is to cull affected birds since survivors, even those that never showed any symptoms, may serve as lifelong carriers of the infective organisms. I wish my answer was a happier one, but at least you know now what you're up against. You can google "infectious coryza in chickens" to read a number of detailed articles on the disease, or I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you might have. Kind regards, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** already removed the ones who show signs of this. I will get with my local feed store and take it a day at a time.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

You're most welcome, let me know if I may be of any further assistance. Best regards, ***** *****