Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

I have a duck with a leg injured by a dog, He can walk and

Customer Question

I have a duck with a leg injured by a dog, He can walk and wiggle his tail etc. but I"m concerned about infection because he wades in the muck. What antibiotic do you suggest? Thanks. Teri
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello Teri, I'm Dr.Bob. I'm sorry to read of your duck's injury, and you are quite right to worry about infection under the filthy conditions you've mentioned. The most important consideration is to prevent an infection rather than to try to treat one. Can you restrict his movements for a week or so, to a cleaner environment to allow healing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

Okay, great! Does it look like the wound may already be infected?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. just happened this a.m.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. It just happened this morning and he was walking in the muck because I cleaned his pool out.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Excellent!
Gently clean out the wound with Betadine or chlorhexidine scrub, then, if it's feasible in the affected area, wrap it with a bandage to keep the area clean. Change the bandage every other day, checking to make sure an infection has not set in. If you would like to treat the wound topically, a triple antibiotic ointment would be fine. Keeping the wound clean is of primary importance, followed by the bandaging and application of a topical antibiotic. If it seems to be getting infected in spite of your efforts, you can use oxytetracycline in his drinking water (1 gram per gallon) for 5 to 7 days. The oxytetracycline may not be needed since you're acting quickly on this injury. You should be able to buy the antibiotic from farm or feed supply stores. Hopefully, in a week or so, your boy will be waddling with the best of them, but if you should have any more questions, please let me know.
Kind regards, *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.

You're most welcome, Teri! If I may be of any further help, do let me know.

Warm regards, ***** *****