I have 2 zebra finches that I hand raised, they think I'm their momma...it's a very unique relationship. I allow them to

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have 2 zebra finches that I hand raised, they think I'm their momma...it's a very unique relationship. I allow them to fly around the house as they please, byt they sleep in their cage at night. Recently, the female started to lay eggs, but does not lay them in her nest and does not sit on them either. She actually laid one in my hand once and another time in my hooded sweatshirt! She's laid 3 eggs so far. Is she just too young? She was born february 3rd 2015...is it bad to dispose of tge eggs if she doesnt sit on them
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 11 hours 7 years ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Valentine is the opposite of broody at this time. In other words her motherly instincts aren't well-developed. You have a couple of choices. You can gather up these eggs and place them in a nest of your construction in her cage and see if she'll become broody. If your other finch is male you just might end up with more of the little birds. Alternatively, you can dispose of the eggs which generally isn't advised because that might encourage more egg laying. In this case, I don't believe that to be a significant risk because she's laying willy-nilly and not broody at all.

Be sure to boost up her nutrition so she can replace the protein and calcium used in egg making. Consider pelleted diets as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/ or www.lafeber.com/pet-birds/, feeding hardboiled egg yolk, the tops of fresh greens, and dairy products such as yogurt and cheese. An avian vitamin such as Oasis brand and a calcium supplement such as Calciboost or Calcivet should be in her water. These supplements are found in pet/feed stores. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer
I give them fresh greens daily, they eat regular finch seed, millet, & i also leave grit & cuttlebone in the cage. They're super spoiled & healthy birds! I've already disposed of the eggs that were laid since Valentine showed no interest & I do have the male, his name is***** sure she will continue to lay eggs I guess i just don't wabt to interfere too much, but at the same time I dont wabt a ton of little birds right now. How do I know if she is ready to sit on the eggs?
She'll demonstrate that she is by nest building - particularly if given the materials she needs for nest building - here's a good site for you: http://www.finchinfo.com/breeding/nests_and_nesting_material.php
Thank you for kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Valentine. How is everything going?
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.