Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dr. Michael Salkin only, please We're obviously anxious to

Customer Question

Dr. Michael Salkin only, please We're obviously anxious to hear what a vet has to say, too. We want to do anything we can to get her healthy
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Have you investigated wildlife rescue organizations in your area? Perhaps the vet will be able to refer Adam to one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried a number of them. It's been tricky since Adam is technically considered a domestic duck, i.e. not "wildlife". We'll keep trying in case that ends up being the right place for her
Ah, I see...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's very frustrating, but we understand that they have licenses they need to abide by.
You're doing all that you can...and more than anyone would expect. I applaud your caring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just hope she's okay
Hopefully, we'll all find out tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will let you know what we hear, thank you for being so responsive
I'll be here. Maybe away from my computer for a hike for a few hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds great, thank you
Talk to you soon. No need to reply at this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tried to pick her up again this morning, but we weren't able to. We even had our local animal control come with a net to help. At least she can move very quickly when she wants to?Is an air sac rupture something that can heal on its own? We did a lot of reading last night, and it sounds like it fits her symptoms. It's been 5 days, which seems like a long time to not see progress.
Yes, as I mentioned above, air sacs usually seal on their own. Have you seen her eat? Will she go after greens or pellets you've strewn on the ground?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She'll eat pellets if we put them in the water. When we put them on the ground, she doesn't have much interest - we think it's because it's too difficult for her to bend down at that angle
Yes, I can understand that. Keep putting the pellets in the water, then. She needs to keep her strength up and needs the nutrition to rebuild damaged tissues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When would we expect to start seeing some progress?
She should be progressively improving now. Her progress would be predicated upon the extent of her injuries which, unfortunately, we can't know at this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adam looked much less swollen tonight and she ate more than yesterday. Is that a good sign? Or does the swelling from a broken air sac naturally go up and down?
Of course it's a good sign! The accumulation of air should progressively decrease. There may be a few bumps in the road but overall we want to see less air accumulating a week from now than today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I had read online somewhere that several changes in swelling meant the sac was re-tearing and could become a bigger injury.We're going to try again to get her to a vet tomorrow.
The saga continues!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to clarify - we shouldn't necessarily expect the swelling to go down every day, and it may go up at times, but it should generally be decreasing over a week or so?
Correct. Picture a very thin membrane - the air sac wall - that was punctured or torn trying to heal itself while air is still going in and out of it. That kind of motion isn't conducive to healing but eventually it should seal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Thank you!
You bet!
I'm just following up on our conversation about Adam. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eating a bit more and looks to be swelling a bit less. Hopefully she keeps getting better!
Yay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for checking in!
It's my pleasure.