Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

We have a baby chick that is three weeks old within the last

Customer Question

We have a baby chick that is three weeks old within the last five days I've noticed a swan joint on the left leg and it cannot walk on it and keeps tipping over what should we do
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You'll need an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) to take a look at that leg. It has either been injured - perhaps fractured - and/or is infected - Staph infections are commonly encountered in the joints of chickens. Unfortunately, systemic antibiotics aren't often effective for these infections involving the skeletal system. It's best to approach the diagnostic process with a clear sense of this chick's financial value to your operation. Although some services such as your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory might be available free of charge through a county agency or land-grant extension office, the expense of some diagnostic tests and treatments can add up quickly. While it’s always worth your time and money to identify a bacterial or viral infection that could potentially impact more than one member of the flock, this might not be the case with a condition that only affects one chick.