Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My small elderly parrot has developed black around edges of beak.

Customer Question

Hi. My small elderly parrot has developed black around edges of beak. At the same time he is having difficulty eating peanuts and other seeds. I suspect he has a tape worm and maybe pin worms. I took a fecal sample into the only avian vet we have here and am waiting a call and appointment. The weekend is coming up so is there anything I can do for him while we wait for medical attention? I made some scrambled eggs with peas and tried a bit of whipped peanut butter... To see if that will help keep him alive.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed the peanut butter. The parrot wanted it off its beak. He liked the scrambled eggs and peas and is eating again.I need advice on how to treat for bird lice too. Noticed a couple in the cage. The parrot is bald on its head and neck only and I read that could be from lice. My husband took care of the rescue parrot for fifteen years but he passed last Fall. I think the parrot is between 85-100 years old due to the history we were told. It's out lived two of its owners and there was the owner who inherited it and then gave it to us. It's small, green with red feathers by its beak. Bigger than a lorikeet, but I can't remember the name. It lives outside in a large cage that I hose out every other day.I live in Hawaii. It would be nice to be able to get a deworming agent and advice on how to use it without the shock of having to take the parrot to the vet.
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since you did not deliver a response will you refund the $5.00?
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry no one else took the question. I saw that you were not answered yet, and I have a lot of affection for elderly parrots. I hope he is still alive?Unfortunately, being this old he really needs veterinary attention. If he is ill, the shock of going to the vet will be minimal compared to the illness. And he may need tube feeding and fluids as injection, which you cannot provide for him at home.Which island are you on? There are several very good bird doctors in Hawaii, and they will have some experience with geriatric patients.The main thing right now is to keep him hydrated. Then try and help him to eat.The parasites are very unlikely. And any treatment could be fatal in a bird of his age. If you think there are lice, you should collect a few for the vet to look at. You can take some clear tape and stick it to the organisms. Your job is to keep the bird warm, safe, quiet, and confined; and to provide adequate hydration and calories.Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose. The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean. Here are some helpful links:https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/emergency-care/https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/Do not try to force food or water. Pedialyte or electrolyte replacer can help but many birds do not like them; when in doubt, plain warm water is best. They can hydrate from oral fluids almost as quickly as IV if the GI is functioning properly. You can offer warm cooked rice, pancakes, cornbread, grapes, melon, greens in addition to normal food.YAM BREAD (cornbread mix+cooked yam)1' cube per bird ​1-2 x ​daily

RICE MIX (cooked short-grain brown rice plus fresh veg)1/4 cup per bird daily
PELLETS (we recommend Harrison's and T.O.P.)

VEGETABLES
Entire leaves of greens poked through the cage wires or on branches
Corn wheels
Cooked yams or squash
Whole carrots, tops included
Half of apple and whole (opened but not peeled) banana poked on sticks (in the aviaries)
Grapes, citrus, pomegranate, persimmon, etc. One small slice per bird. Put on twigs etc.