Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a sick Budgie on the bottom f the cage! He is eating

Customer Question

I have a sick Budgie on the bottom f the cage! He is eating millet! Not sure what to do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While I'm necessarily constrained to do much more than perform a thorough physical exam and minimal testing on such a small bird, it would be prudent to have an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) take a look at him at your earliest convenience. Once a budgie appears weak and "goes to the bottom" he's a very ill budgie. This is a protective mechanism because ill birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Until he can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 90F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has his diet consisted of, please?
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it died!
My condolences for your loss. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.