Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

There, We found a red faced mouse bird, it looked injured and took it home. The w

Customer Question

Hi there,
We found a red faced mouse bird, it looked injured and took it home.
The wings as far as I can tel seem to be fine but for some reason the bird cant balance or sit up straight. He did drink some water which we fed him by use of syringe.
Is it possible that you can help us pinpoint what is wrong him?
Kind regards,
Marcel
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He did eat some banana.
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry, I have been traveling and unable to have Internet. Is he still alive? The most common thing would be head trauma from hitting a window, or being hit by a vehicle. They can also injure the spine, pelvis or legs and have nerve trauma from that. There are also a number of infections that could cause similar signs. Do his feet seem to grip normally and with equal strength? Is he able to swallow the water and food normally? Keep him comfortable and confined and monitor the droppings--they indicate food intake as well as any internal injuries.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Dr. Pat no problem.I was thinking he might have been poisoned, as the birds diet is soft fruits like banana and such?When I brought him home his feet seemed to grip way less than it does now especially the one side. He still leans to a side somewhat still and still unable to fly, when I hold him up in my hands he tries to fly but only manages a soft landing.With regards ***** ***** he seems to swallow the food and drink as per normal.The droppings also look normal.Thanks for helping!