Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M. 26 years of small animal emergency and general medicine, including pet birds, poultry, waterfowl, and birds of prey.
24704774

I have a Spanish timbrado canary that has the following symptoms

Customer Question

I have a Spanish timbrado canary that has the following symptoms : breathing with sound of congestion, slight whistles when breathing, sometimes she shakes her head maybe to clear her nostrils
I've been giving her amoxicillin from the onset of her symptoms
She shows improvement but condition still exists
I worry I may loose her
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine,
The symptoms you describe and the fact that we are dealing with a canary make me think of air sac mites.
Bacterial, fungal, and protozoan parasites can also be the cause, as can lack of vitamin A (commonly due to an all-seed diet without supplementation).
See the following link for nutrition information:
http://www.all-pet-birds.com/finch-food.html
Depending on the cause of the symptoms, treatment will be vastly different for each, and because of the fragility of these tiny individuals, it is vital to know what we are dealing with prior to treating "shotgun" if at all possible.
While amoxicillin can be effective for certain respiratory (bacterial only) infections, it is not my 1st choice in birds generally.
While you may find information from various websites (like below) that give various products you may get over the counter, it is much safer to have the bird seen by a veterinarian who is trained in pet bird medicine. In this way, she can be accurately weighed in grams, and dosed appropriately and directly.
https://ladygouldian.com/Respiratory-Infections-in-Birds
Until then, separate her from any others, and bring her into a warm environment (i.e. 80-85 degrees). Intermittent steam can help her breathing--a warm steamy bathroom for 30 minutes at a time works.
Please let me know if I may answer anything further.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
Hi, this is Dr. Elaine,

Just checking for an update on your canary.

Thanks