Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My parakeets got sick a week ago and are drinking 7x as much

Customer Question

My parakeets got sick a week ago and are drinking 7x as much water as they normally do and are wetting the bottom of the cage instead of pooping. Perhaps they got chilled? I put them in separate cages and moved them up to a warmer room. The younger one which we found in our yard a few years ago seems to have recovered but perhaps not entirely while the 10 year old is still wetting his cage as much as previously. Neither has much appetite for food and I have been giving them millet which they love. I offered them various bits of fruit but as in the past, they just ignore it. I also bought vitamin drops which I add to their water. Is there a medicine I should give? Or a special food?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly would require a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests because there are so many possible causes of polyuria/polydipsia (increased volume of urine/increased thirst). Please take a look at this discussion* designed for the avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) and scroll down to "diseases with polydipsia/polyuria" to see what I mean. It's quite technical but I'd be pleased to continue answering your questions and concerns once you peruse that discussion.
*http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/566.pdf?LA=1