Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My five month old African grey seems to be favoring her right foot. An

Customer Question

My five month old African grey seems to be favoring her right foot. Any thoughts on how to treat? I can send a photo
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 2 years ago.
A photo might be helpful. Can you see anything obviously swollen or different? Is she able to bear weight at all?Can you tell me more about the bird?​How long has this been going on?How long have you had her?Where is she from?Any accidents or trauma?Interactions with other birds/pets/children/guests?What is the usual diet? has it changed recently?Has the bird gotten into anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We can not notice any swelling or anything different. It is the right foot that seems to be hurt. She can bear some weight for stepping up and climbing around. She holds food and can bear a little weight when on her perch. Prior to yesterday she was able to bear weight evenly on both feet. She was hatched on Feb 6th 2015. We adopted her last week from on older gentleman in Hilo who hand fed her from hatching. She has had a couple of falls from perch but did not seem to be hurt. Her interaction has been with my wife, myself, our dog and neighbor children with no incidents. We have been feeding her parrot food from the pet store supplementing with fresh fruit. She lives in a Parrot habitat that is 3 x3x 4 ft deep with two 3/4 inch wooden perches. A couple of days ago we taught her to wave with her left foot but she will not do so anymore due to difficulty in bearing weight on right foot. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 2 years ago.
From the photos, the way she is holding the foot seems odd. Is the rear outer toe moveable? Can she grip with it? I cannot see the smaller inner toe, is it normal position? Does her entire foot look a little rotated inward? There's some camera distortion and I can not tell from the viewing angle. Is there a possibility that she could have gotten the toes or nails caught in a toy or cloth? A pulling-type injury can cause nerve damage and injure joints and other soft tissues from the nail all the way up the leg to the hip and spine. Baby grays mature very slowly and can be clumsy, and it is possible that a climbing or fall injury could have hurt her. It would be a good idea to have a bird-experienced vet take a look at her and do a couple of radiographs to check both limbs, and the hips and spine.she probably will need at least good pain management. For right now, do not ask her to climb or use the feet in any unnecessary ways. If there is a fracture, joint injury, nerve damage or soft tissue injuries you will want to minimize possibility of worsening the injury. Get her in tomorrow for a hands-on exam.