Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My canary has blood sacks in his legs what can I do ?

Customer Question

my canary has blood sacks in his legs what can I do ?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There is a natural progressive scaling of a canary's legs and feet seen most often in middle age and canaries do suffer from Cnemidocoptes - a mite that can cause excessive scaling of the feet and legs (and sometimes around the beak) - but the finding of "blood sacs" puzzles me.
Can you upload a photo of these "blood sacs" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.