Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have pet chickens who are 2.5 months old. Currently I feed

Customer Question

I have pet chickens who are 2.5 months old. Currently I feed them a commercial starter/grower feed plus occasional treats (it's hot here, so cold items, like papaya, apple, fresh strawberries puréed and frozen in ice cube trays). The treats are limited, both in frequency and portion size. What are your recommendations as to optimal diet for my girls? They are strictly pets and will remain so past egg laying years. I've also heard about fermenting their feed :( and that some people feed spent brewer's mash to their birds. What is your opinion? I'm a new "chicken mom" and love to watch my birds learn and grow! 🐓 thank you, ***** ***** you share is greatly appreciated!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please take a look at this site: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/feeding-chickens-at-different-ages.html The "Chicken-chick" is a font of good information for the lay person. I don't understand the purpose of fermenting the feed or adding brewer's mash to a balanced feed. This isn't likely to be a problem in a scavenging free-range adult bird but may imbalance the diet of a growing chicken adversely. After reviewing that site please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.