Bird Veterinary

Have Bird Questions? Ask a Bird Specialist.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Bird Veterinary

I have a rooster with a swollen left claw ,I've soaked it in

Customer Question
epsin salts and massaged it...
I have a rooster with a swollen left claw ,I've soaked it in epsin salts and massaged it ...rubbed off some builded up crusty flesh.He is still not putting all his weight on it and ther is a good ammount of heat coming from th claw....Do I need to give him something to reduce the swelling and heat?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird Veterinary
6/30/2015
Bird Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
By the principle of Occam's Razor, you've described bumblefoot in your rooster. This is a cellulitis (inflammation of tissue) or abscessation resulting from a break in the foot skin and bacteria entering the break. Pododermatitis is divided into mild, moderate, and severe grades with the severe grades causing an osteomyelitis (bone infection). X-rays are indicated in that grade. For mild cases, changing to a softer substrate, exercise to increase blood supply to the foot, soaking the affected foot in warm water, and the use of keratin softeners may be all that's needed. The foot may also be soaked in a dilute chlorhexidine or iodine solution. If the tissues of the foot are severely swollen as appears to be the case with your rooster, surgery may be indicated to remove pus or a large callous but it must be performed under anesthesia with pain relievers administered. Considerable hemorrhage should be expected. Treatment may also include systemic antibiotics, wound management, and bandaging. Take a look at the link below. It's written by an educated layperson and will give you an idea of what to expect. I don't agree with the author about being able to perform such surgery without anesthesia or pain relief, however. If surgery is contemplated, I'd prefer that an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) be involved. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian