helperDVM
helperDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian that also sees exotics pets of all kinds.
76789122

My cat just brought in a live baby bird and fortunately

Customer Question

hi my cat just brought in a live baby bird and fortunately I caught him in time. the poor baby seems traumatized and might be hurt. Its saturday and i don't have a phone or know where to bring the bird. What can I do for the poor baby while i wait for tomorrow or monday to bring it to the vet. food water?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  helperDVM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for rescuing that baby!! There are a few things you can do at home! Make sure that the baby is in a clean dry place that your kitty can't get to. I like shoe boxes and I usually put them on top of the dresser or someplace where I can shut the cats can't get. Second putting dry rice in a sock and microwaving for about 30 seconds to a minute it makes a nice warm buddy for the baby. As far as feeding it depends on how well it is moving around. You can moisten a few kibbles of your cats food with warm water to make it nice and soft and offer pieces by mouth if the bird eats it then that's great! If it doesn't it may be too young for that. If it's too young you will have to assist feed it that means mashing up the cat food (or if you have canned it's easier!) into warm water and feeding the baby directly into its mouth a couple of drops at a time. You should also offer water this way as well. You may also want to check with Animal Shelters or Wildlife refuge places as sometimes they are open on Saturdays and have a vet they can contact on call for emergencies. Feel free to ask if you need any other clarification. Good luck to the little bird it sounds like it is caring hands!! :)